The topic for this weeks blog past is another little project. It is not a cushion this time but a little table topper. I have written in the past about how much I love my Go! Baby die cutter by AccuQuilt
. So when I got some new dies this week I just had to make something. You know how it is, sometimes you just need to start something new, regardless of how many other projects you already have on the go or how much housework needs doing.
I did this all by machine, hence it was quick and easy. I also got to try out some new thread. 100% cotton mako by Aurifil. I am in love! It is so smooth and has a beautiful sheen. I used it for both the piecing and quilting. It was a dream.
I also tried a new method for finishing it. Rather than bind around so many corners I decided to stitch the backing face down on the top, stitch around it, leaving a small gap and then turn inside the other way. Like a pillow case.
I marked a small flower in the centre of the hexagons and then using my new love - Aurifil, I stitched around the design. In the outside ring of half hexagons I free motion quilted a feather using the seam as a spine. I found on the first ring that when I completed the ring the last feather plume can look a little awkward where it joins with the first one. I have had this problem before when quilting feathers on borders of quilts. This time I found though that if I started with a half plume (think half heart shape) that when I complete the ring it was easier to make a smooth connection.
I am linking up with Gemma again (see her I-quilt-linky party button on side bar). Take care and try and do a little bit of what you love each day.